Finding Pet Friendly Accommodations
Planning a Trip with Your Pet Over Labor Day?
Finding Pet Friendly Accommodations. Planning that last of the summer trip over Labor Day? Here are some tips while on the go with your pets – how to find pet friendly accommodations.
It pays to plan ahead because although there are more and more pet-friendly hotels, motels, B & Bs, there is not guarantee you will find one by chance.
1. Some places require a pet security deposit, which is returned if the chairs aren’t chewing up or the carpet piddled upon.
2. Some do charge an extra non-refundable fee for cats.
3. Other offer pet perks, from dog walking to pet room service menus.
4. Be specific when you ask questions. Perhaps you have two dogs. Does the hotel allow more than one pet per room? Is there a fee for additional pets? Maybe the hotel only welcomes smaller dogs. Exactly how big is a small dog? Find out.
5. Pet friendly accommodations are listed, and in some cases, commented on at websites such as PetTravel.com, petswelcome.com, Doginmysuitcase.com, 1clickpethotels.com and TravelPets.com. But do not just depend on the website because policies change.
6. Get a written confirmation with all the details.
7. When you arrive, plan fun doggie friendly activities, such as a romp in the nearby park. After all, if your dog is just going to stay in the room all day, every day, what is the point of bringing them along?
8. For dogs that are stressed out by car rides, a Dog Appeasing Pheromone collar (like aromatherapy for dogs) or lavender hanging from the rearview mirror can help.
9. Don’t forget to take a good orthopedic memory foam dog bed along. Not only will it soften the jostling of the car ride, it is a comfortable place to sleep at night. Taking your dog’s personal dog bed along gives them the security of the same bed each night while traveling.
So throw your best friend in the car. . .and have a wonderful last fling of summer.
Source: USA Weekend